The Lions club of Buderim is instrumental as the prime motivational force behind the “Walk to School Program” at Buderim Mountain State School, Chancellor State College, and Mooloolaba State School.
Operated by Buderim Lions, this major project is supported by Sunshine Coast Council, Queensland Police Service, and its volunteer members,supported by parents and interested community members.
In addition to covering insurance, the Lions Club of Buderim has an ongoing major sponsor in the Heritage Bank, which ensures the ongoing funding for the project. Sunshine Coast Council is also enthusiastic in their support and has contributed funding.
Great support has seen the project grow from a single walk for the Buderim Mountain State School, to weekly walks for three large schools. Fun and variety for the children is provided through special themed walks.
Such is the popularity of the Buderim Lions Walk to School Program, there are now hundreds of primary school children enjoying a morning walk to school , taking the weight off our road systems, parents and the neighbourhoods around our school. The road safety benefits are enormous.
A brief description of the programme is set out below. Parents requiring more information can contact their local school. Any persons willing to assist or sponsor should contact Buderim Lions in the “contact us” section of this web-site.
We featured on CH7's Station ID
In August 2017 our Walk to School in Mooloolaba featured in the Station Ident, which ran at various times daily./ I was great fun for all involved as you can see by the smiling faces!
What are the Walks?
- The Walk to School Program encourages parents to bring their children to designated drop off points, away from the congested areas of the school.
- Parents are encouraged to join the walk with their children if they are able.
- Walks are conducted one day per week, different days for each school to spread resources.
- The assembled children are escorted by Lions and Police, assisted by Volunteers.
- Supervision ensures the children remain safe for the trip.
- Walks vary from 15 to 20 minutes.
The benefits of the programme include:
- Parents enjoy spending more quality time with their children.
- Improve the health and fitness of parents and children
- Reduce congestion and create greater safety around the school
- Reduce airborne pollution outside the school
- Reduce vehicle costs and the demand for car parking.
- More fun than driving
- Catch up with other parents, chat while walking, or chill out.
- Teach road safety to children
- Improved interaction between children of various aged groups. Particularly beneficial for new or shy kids!