Welcome to LIONS Club of Buderim Incorporated.
The Lions Club of Buderim was sponsored by the Nambour Lions Club and was Chartered in 1967. We are proud to be a member of the world’s largest and most active service club. Our Lions International page will tell you more about the world picture.
The Club was incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act 1981 as a not-for-profit organisation. The ABN number is 56 954 664 829. The Club is part of Lions District 201Q4, Zone 1.
The LIONS Club of Buderim is a modern and pro-active Club which is progressive in its attitude whilst adhering to LIONS International guidelines, values and ethics. The Club in Buderim has its own Business Plan which is regularly updated to reflect contemporary attitudes, needs, and concerns of both the Club and the Community.
Our Mission as the local Lions Club is to support financially or otherwise the disadvantaged and under-privileged, and those children and youths with special needs within its community. This mission is accomplished by maintaining a Club that is a committed team of volunteers who achieve high quality results, and by recognizing we must establish and implement strategies and activities that reflect the values and expectations of the community that we serve.
Like all service clubs, we face challenges with changing community values. Often the community need is increasing whilst the number of members and volunteers is decreasing. Happily we seem to be overcoming the latter in Buderim. Our net membership is now 34 with younger members joining us, to help those of the old guard. Our target is to exceed 40 members. We have also enjoyed the assistance of many non-member volunteers on special projects. We call these people “Friends of Lions“.
We raise substantial funds by traditional methods of BBQ’s, and selling Lions Mints and Cakes. We do this because it works and it can also be a lot of fun and camaraderie for members. We even made things easier by purchasing a purpose built BBQ trailer to reduce the workload and increase our efficiency (not to mention our ease and comfort ). This purchase was funded via a Government grant.
Not so visible is our other work:
- We plan and run the big annual Buderim Street Party in conjunction with Buderim Rotary.
- We set up and operate a significant food outlet for the “Big Breakfast” during the Buderim Australia Day and ANZAC Day events.
- We mentor other not-for profit organisations that need it.
- We help procure Government grants for some of these organisations.
- We organise an Easter Fair and a Christmas Fair in Buderim.
- We actively co-operate and network with other community groups like Rotary, Buderim Foundation, other Lions and Lioness Clubs etc.
- We organise and run community entertainment events.
- We established and mentor a very active Leo Club at Chancellor State College to provide leadership experience to students and give them the opportunity to help fellow students and community.
- We provide funding for the support of disadvantaged school children.
- We operate the “Walk to School Program” to encourage Buderim, Mooloolaba State Schools and Chancellor State College, to promote a healthy walk to school, under Police and Lions supervision, helping keep the School drop off zones safer for children and parents.
- We make donations to worthy National and International causes run by Lions International, and Lions Australia, but the majority of monies we raise, is returned to the greater Buderim community.
- We forge links between Businesses in Buderim and our community projects, and in turn, more links with the media to ensure that the projects and the businesses get the exposure they deserve.
- We maintain a Lion’s Den at Cunning Park with regular working Bee’s.
- We have monthly business and informal meetings. These meetings are on the first and third Thursday evenings each month.
- We have social gatherings for club members too, in order to relax on occasions. Again we cover costs direct from members and NOT from donations.
It is worth noting that all of the funds for administration of the Lions Club of Buderim, come directly from members by way of membership and service fees.
Funds are held in an Administration Account. Donated Funds raised from activities are held in a separate Activities Account and returned wholly to the community. So you can safely say that a dollar spent with Lions is a dollar direct to charitable works.
- We encourage all persons and families to come to activities and/or events of their choosing, to relax and have a good time.
And finally, for those few who are looking for more to do with their time, the Lions Club of Buderim can find things for you to do as a “friend’, a volunteer, or as a member. It can be fun and immensely rewarding!
If you wish to explore this option, see the Contact Us section